Message sent from:


If you have a complaint about something at school, there are three levels at which complaints can be made and the levels must be approached in order, as stated in Kirklees Policy Document on complaints procedure:-

  1. Approach the Class teacher, either in writing or via an arranged meeting, to discuss you concern.
  2. ​Put your complaint in writing to the Headteacher, including some expectation of what the epected outcome would be. The Headteacher should respond in writing acknowledging the complaint within three school days, and respond in writing with the outcome of any investigation within 15 school days. 
  3. If you are still not satisfied, the complainant should contact the Chair of Governors in writing, including some expectation of what the expected outcome would be. The Chair of Governors or Vice Chair of Governors should investigate the complaint and respond within 15 school days, so that your written complaint can be raised with the School's Governing Body Complaints Committee. This can be done by sending a letter addressed to the Chair of Governors via the school office. 

The Governors Complaints Committee may decide to:

  • Dismiss the complaint
  • Uphold the Headteacher's decision
  • Hold further discussions with the Headteacher and reconsider aspects of their decision
  • Ask the Local Authority (LA) to investigate the complaint

If the Governing Body Complaints Committee asks the LA to investigate the complaint, the Chair of Governors will request an LA investigation in writing, to the Childrens and Adults Directorate, Learning and Skills.

  1. You may approach the Local Authority. If the complaint has not gone through the channels above, the LA will refer the complaint back to school to deal with. 
Hit enter to search